2023 Computer Science Lecturer / Assistant Professor / Associate Professor job with WENZHOU – KEAN UNIVERSITY
Wenzhou-Kean University (WKU), located in Wenzhou, China, one of three Chinese-American universities along with NYU Shanghai and Duke Kunshan University, is approved by the Ministry of Education of China. Launched in 2012, WKU offers a unique higher education model in partnership with Kean University, a comprehensive public university in the state of New Jersey that is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. WKU sits on approximately 500 beautiful acres and currently enrolls approximately 4,200 students, and is now in the midst of rapid growth that will bring enrollment to 7,000 students over the next five years. All instructions are in English and all programs are provided by Kean University. In addition to its current 18 undergraduate programs, WKU has been approved by the Ministry of Education to offer 8 master’s programs and 3 doctoral programs. Wenzhou is one of the most dynamic and economically advanced developed cities on China’s east coast, located one hour by plane and three hours by high-speed train from Shanghai.
The Computer Science Department currently has approximately 500 undergraduate students and 10 graduate students.
About the position:
The College of Science, Mathematics, and Technology seeks assistant/associate professors, lecturers, and visiting faculty leading to tenure in computer science. All faculty positions are effective for the start of the 2023 spring or fall semester.
Tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professorships are full-time, 10-month appointment appointments on an initial 3-year contract. Tenure-track faculty are required to teach 24 credits per academic year, conduct high-quality research that engages students, and provide service to the university and/or professional community. Tenure-track appointments require publications in well-recognized and rigorously peer-reviewed international journals on computer science or other closely related topics. Six credits of teaching release time will be awarded to new faculty each year for the first two years to support the development of external research grants and other significant research efforts. A general seed grant and other internal research funds will be provided to help new faculty develop a strong research program.
Lecturer positions are full-time, 11-month assignments appointed on renewable three-year contracts. Full-time lecturers must teach 39 credits per year, provide student and learning support services, and perform related work as needed.
Visiting Professorships are semester appointments. Visiting professors must teach 12 credits per semester and contribute to the development of the program.
All applicants must demonstrate a commitment to teaching and best practices in international education. Teaching assignments and related responsibilities may include day, evening, and online classes. Interest or experience in using advanced instructional technologies to enhance the teaching/learning process is highly desirable. All faculty may be required to teach general education courses as needed. Fluency in English is required.
A PhD in computer science or a related field is required for tenure-track positions; ABD will be taken into account. Tenure candidates should have a good publication record in leading IT conferences such as ICSE, KDD, AAAI, IJCAI, FOCS, CHI, SIGIR, SIGMOD, IDC, UbiComp, IUI, AIED, etc. Receive a doctorate. from reputable computer science programs and/or have work experience at world-renowned universities is preferred.
Speakers should have a bachelor’s and master’s degree in computer science or a related field, and at least one year of teaching experience in colleges/universities, or 3+ years of professional experience in the software industry/computer department.
Visiting professors should have at least 5 years of industry/academic experience. Candidates who have work experience in computer/network security, financial technology, educational technology and assistive technology are encouraged to apply.
Fluency in English and the ability to teach introductory and intermediate computer science courses such as Introduction to Programming in Java/C/C++, Data Structures and Algorithms, and Operating Systems are required for all positions. The candidate will also have the opportunity to teach graduate level courses in their areas of interest.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research objectives, unofficial transcripts, three most recent publications (for tenure track assistant professor positions) and contact information for three professional references by e-mail to the chair of the search committee at [email protected]. Official transcripts for all degrees and three current letters of recommendation are required prior to appointment.
Tenure-track faculty and lecturer positions at WKU offer:
- Annual salary commensurate with qualifications and experience in the range of $65,000-72,000 for Lecturers, $70,000-80,000 for Assistant Professors, $78,000-90,000 for Professors associates. The salary of extraordinary candidates is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- The University will provide start-up grants to help tenure-track faculty start their research programs.
- Full medical coverage, college travel up to $2,000, housing options and subsidy up to $3,000, home travel up to $6,000 (2 round-trip international airfares) , reimbursement to cover moving expenses up to $1,000, commuting to campus for work, and up to 8% early retirement benefits in accordance with completion of years of service at the University.
- WKU tuition waiver up to 80% for spouse/faculty dependent children for undergraduate programs.
- The opportunity to teach high quality students with over 60% of WKU graduates admitted to graduate programs at highly ranked universities around the world.
- Extraordinarily strong applicants at the professor level may be considered for a special research position with high expectations for research output, low teaching load (1-1 or 2-0 load), generous funding for the research start-up (RMB 1-5 million), a 10-month salary of 0.8-1.0 million RMB (about 115-150,000 USD), and 1 million RMB housing subsidy.
Wenzhou-Kean University performs background checks on all job applicants upon acceptance of a conditional offer and may engage a third-party administrator to perform background checks.