IIT Guwahati Invites Applications for Online Course in Quantum Mechanics
IIT Guwahati offers a free 8-week online course in Advanced Quantum Mechanics with Applications on the NPTEL platform
IIT Guwahati offers a free 8-week online course titled Advanced Quantum Mechanics with Applications on the NPTEL platform. The course would be most suitable for undergraduate and postgraduate students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Engineering Physics or Physics, and also carries 2 credit points. The course covers prerequisite material for studying advanced-level research in various fields of physics, applied physics and electrical engineering, the official website states.
The course will be led by Dr. Saurabh Basu, Professor in the Department of Physics at IIT Guwahati. The professor’s area of expertise is theoretical condensed matter physics, with particular emphasis on correlated Boson and Fermion systems, and topological insulators. He has about 90 research publications in different international peer-reviewed journals.
Who Can Apply For IIT Guwahati Online Course in Quantum Mechanics
The course essentially provides an introductory overview of advanced topics, such as the density matrix formalism and its applications to quantum optics, angular momentum, quantum information theory, quantum dynamics, and a glossary of approximate methods is described with some examples. Some of the topics that will be covered are:
- Introduction to quantum physics, postulates and different representations.
- Density matrix formalism, harmonic oscillator, applications to coherent and compressed states, spherically symmetric systems and quantum dots.
- Spin angular momentum or nuclear magnetic resonance.
- Quantum information theory, Shanon’s entanglement or entropy.
- Quantum computing algorithms, EPR and Bell’s paradox.
- Quantum dynamics, or periodically driven systems.
- Approximation methods, perturbation theory, variational approximation and WKB.
- Linear response theory or Kubo’s formula.
Important Details of IIT Guwahati Online Course in Quantum Mechanics
The course will run from July 25 to September 16, 2022 and the registration deadline for the course is August 1, 2022. Those who wish to receive certificates for the course will have to pay Rs 1000 and pass an exam which will be conducted on September 25, 2022 The certificate will bear the candidate’s name, photograph and final mark. Those wishing to apply are advised to go through the official notification for more information.